Saturday, May 26, 2012

Last day at work

Medical clearance achieved!


That vague online message I received was followed the next day by a letter in the mail saying that I have cleared medical and am now waiting to be placed. Also, I need to get another pair of glasses. I have 2 pairs, but one of them was $180 and I am NOT taking those to Africa with me. I will be taking my $20 pair and ordering another pair just like it from Zenni.

The letter also cautioned against making any drastic career moves quite yet, like leaving my job, which brings me to my next topic,

I'm leaving my job!


Today was my last day at work, and it was emotional turmoil. I have been here for a year now and I am going to miss all these kids and their parents and my colleagues SO MUCH. They are all really special and fantastic and make every day worth it.

The Peace Corps advises you to wait to leave your job until you have received an invitation, and it's a bit or a risk that I'm leaving without that. But I'm fairly certain that I will receive one, and even if I don't, it's time to move on. As much as I love these kids, and as much fun as my job can be sometimes, it's not a great career move. I worked my butt off at Rice and I want more from life than being a receptionist. It was fun while it lasted, it was great experience, and I made some really good contacts, but I am ready to move on with my life.

Some of the mom and dads at work were so considerate and kind though -- in addition to a whole slew of really nice cards and letters, they gave me all kinds of helpful gifts and goodies for Africa -- like a journal, a dopp kit, a safari hat, a head wrap, wind-up flashlight and lots (LOTS!) of gift cards.

Can't wait to hear from Placement!

Note to self: You have a limited amount of luggage space. Remember!


No comments:

Post a Comment