Thursday, December 20, 2012

"Just wanted to say hi!"

There is a particular aspect of Mozambican culture I have yet to figure out, and it's the Typical Mozambican Phone Call. This is how it goes:

*Phone rings.*
Me: Olá? / Hello?
Mozambican: Professora Helena! Como esta? / Professor Helen! How are you?
Me: Estou bem. Como-- / I am fine, and how are --
Mozambican: Eu também estou bem. Só queria cumprimentar! / I am also fine! Just wanted to say hello.
Me: Ok, obrigada... / OK, thanks....
Mozambican: De nada, de nada. OK... até logo, ne? / You're welcome, you're welcome. Ok, well... later!
Me: Uh ... tchau? /  Uh ... bye?
*Mozambican hangs up.*

I have gotten this exact phone call from a wide variety of people. My host mom, my school director, my roommate, a friend of a friend who I met in the marketplace... the list goes on. I would say I get these two to three times a week. The first ones I received were from my host dad in South Africa, who I had not yet met at the time. He would call me every two to three days for no apparent reason. I thought it was really weird. I asked a Mozambican about it and they said "Oh, well it's just, you know, to make sure you are doing well."

Clearly.

I suppose that makes sense, but to me it seems as if this takes out all meaningful conversation and leaves only a formulaic question-and-answer script -- so what's the point? When I figure it out, I'll let you know. As for now, I'm just glad it's short and I don't have to make a lot of Polite Telephone Conversation. Those tend to be filled with Awkward Silences.


In other news, I went hiking with my dog yesterday. We wandered around for a bit down by the river, until we ran into The Bush of Africa. Here it is.

This is the Bush. Isn't it so... bush-like?
I didn't have a machete on me (To do: get machete), and didn't particularly relish the thought of trampling through thick underbrush with my next-to-nill knowledge of Mozambican Venomous and Dangerous Bush Animals. (Are there crocodiles in the Mavudzi River? How about black mambas? These are legitimate concerns.) So I climbed a tree and took a nap instead.

Poppy guarded the tree-trunk as I lazed about in the foliage.

 It was a good day.


6 comments:

  1. Why, Helen, you're far from your home, you're skinny, you're pale, and you have no husband. Obviously you need the locals to watch out for you! And, remember, snakes climb trees. Mrs. H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gee, thanks! Tonight's serpent-filled nightmares brought to you courtesy of Mrs. H!

      Delete
  2. I still get those calls. At 3am. In America. (Pro tip: No matter how many times you explain the time difference, they will still call at 3am.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I get them super early here sometimes and they are always surprised when I sound sleepy.

      Delete
  3. I still love Poppy. I would cuddle that dog so hard.

    ReplyDelete