Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Staying Optimistic

Peace Corps life is stressful and makes sane people feel crazy. One moment, you're making jokes with your students, loving life, laughing, and the next moment, you want to crawl under the covers and never come out again. I've been pretty lucky so far. I would say I've definitely had fewer emotional breakdowns than the average PCV does by this time in their service.

But living in a foreign country, alone, surrounded by people you don't know is bound to get even the most resilient of people down, and I was down this week. I missed two days of school due to illness, and I found myself wishing I was still sick so I wouldn't have to go to school for the rest of the week. I didn't want to come out of my house, didn't want to come out of my room or even get out of bed. I didn't pick up my guitar or my sketchbook -- I just watched movies and slept, and felt generally devoid of energy.

It's difficult to be so far away from everyone else. More than once I have wished that I could switch sites and live anywhere that's closer to other volunteers -- or, most of all, wished for a sitemate. Sometimes I do get jealous of the people who seem to have integrated perfectly into their communities already, people who seem like everybody adores them and nothing bothers them. The "perfect" Peace Corps Volunteers.

However, I know that lying in bed all day is not a good way to battle the blues, so I forced myself to make a list of things that I can do to lift my spirits. My favorite things, Sound of Music-style. These include: talking to people (friends, family, neighbors), creative endeavors (guitar, sketching, writing), food (hot chocolate, cooking, peanut butter), being active (stretching, yoga), cleaning (laundry, dishes, hair), and making plans (for tomorrow, for the next two years, for the rest of my life...) It also helps me to think about what my life would be like if I weren't here. I'd likely still be working  and living in Houston -- which was fun, but frustratingly future-less.  I had some pretty stressful moments back then, too. Thinking about that helps me remember why I came here in the first place.

So last night, I made up my mind to do several of the items on my list to lift my spirits. Operation Positive Thinking. I washed some clothes, washed some dishes, talked to Lisa, talked to Szasha, talked to my mom, cuddled with Poppy, sketched the sunset, and wrote in my journal whilst listening to calming music.

It made such a difference. Today, I woke up and I felt much happier. Less anxious, more energetic. I walked into my most challenging class and I just taught, all the while telling myself that later on I would reward myself with naan and curry for dinner. It helped! I looked at all the blank faces staring back at me, and instead of getting disappointed, I just thought about naan and curry.

"Who knows the answer to the next question?"

*SILENCE*

"Anybody?"

*A pin drops.*

"Nobody at all?"

*A cricket chirps.*

"Whatever, I'm eating naan and curry for dinner tonight, suckers!"

OK, maybe that's not exactly how it went down. But you get the point.

Shake it off! OPTIMISM!

The product of my evening mood-lifting sketch session.

9 comments:

  1. I LOVE your picture! It cheered me up all the way to Texas!

    I've often heard it said that difficult and challenging tasks are given to those who can handle them. That might not give you much comfort right now, but I think it is true. You ARE reaching your students, even if you don't know it! Just being there is sending a message.

    Although I selfishly wish you were back here, I think it is an important and valuable thing that you are doing---and it will give you strength to know you can handle anything in the future!

    Big hugs from me, Uncle W, and Don!

    Love, Aunt B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aunt B! One of my friends that is teaching in America sent me an e-mail and said "Don't worry, the kids here are just like that too." So that makes me feel better! Haha.

      Delete
    2. Are you kidding???? The kids in America are much worse - as in smart remarks, profanity, sensations of entitlement, cheating, not doing homework, doting parents who blame the teacher for everything, etc., etc., etc. I wish you could talk to my neighbor who teaches high school English here. And, when you have had a bad day, just ask yourself if you got through to anyone - if you got through to just one student, it was worth it. Mrs. H.

      Delete
    3. I really like the illustration - you must have inherited the artistic talent from your mom! I believe you could be the author and illustrator of an award-winning book. Mrs. H.

      Delete
  2. There is a quote that I really wish I could remember that would be perfect for that feeling of comparing yourself to all those who seem like the "perfect volunteers." The basic idea is that it is futile to compare yourself to how others appear to be doing when you are feeling low because you end up comparing your outtakes to their highlight reel. The point is that you are aware of all the challenges and bad feelings you experience 24 hours a day, but only see the parts of others lives they choose to share.

    More importantly, we are almost 2/3 done with travel ban and halfway to reconnect :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they stress that we shouldn't compare ourselves to others -- but sometimes you do anyway. Who doesn't? Haha.
      That's a very good point about the low/highlight reel thing.

      Delete
    2. I think I read something like that about Facebook maybe. That you have full knowledge of what your life is really like but you're seeing all the pictures and statuses that project an image they want us to see. Hmm, can't remember where I read that. Maybe the NYT.

      Anyway, Helen. You're awesome.

      Delete
  3. If it helps, this is how I view your life right now: http://celebquote.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/The-hobbit-unexpected-journey-quote-4.gif

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe. I like that gif.
      Helen! You can't change what's going on around you, but you can change how you feel about it inside. Teaching is hard. And teaching in a faraway country removed from your fam/friends is DEFINITELY hard. But I'm cheering for you!!!!

      Delete