Wednesday, January 16, 2013

What I Usually Eat

I've gotten a couple of questions about what I eat on a daily basis, so I thought I’d write about it.

My town is one of the few Peace Corps sites in Mozambique that doesn't have a year-round market due to the fact that it’s really tiny. Most families just grow their own food—but since I live on school grounds, this is not an option for me. There are one or two bancas on the road where on occasion you can buy spaghetti or tuna -- but for the rest of my shopping, I have to go to Tete City, an hour away. There are pros and cons to this -- on the upside, Tete is an awesome place where I can enjoy falafel sandwiches and ice cream in a nice air conditioned cafe on a weekly basis. On the downside, it takes a long time to get there, the city is an expensive place to hang out, and most of all, planning out a weeks’ worth of food, fitting it all into two shopping bags, and lugging it home on the ever-so-crowded chapa is difficult at best.

Due to the cost of meat and the fact that I’m freaked out by killing chickens, I’ve become 98% vegetarian. Eating a nutritious diet is therefore even more difficult, especially because I can only shop once a week, and fruits and vegetables go bad very quickly. I had one particularly desperate meal to date which consisted of a bouillon cube in hot water with "dumplings" made of nothing more than water and flour. (I was really scraping the barrel as far as food reserves go. I had nothing left.) I told myself it was "chicken soup with dumplings," but I am fully aware that I basically ate saltwater and flour for dinner. Never again!

On the flip side, the first few days after I go shopping are like Christmas come early. On those days, I have a wide assortment of fruits and vegetables, my meals are nutritious and delicious, and the amount of trash I produce is next to nothing. Needless to say, I love the first few days after I go shopping.

I think of my dietary habits as having three stages:

Stage 1: “Abundance”:
Just went shopping – food, glorious food! I binge eat wonderfully vitamin-rich fruits, vegetables and fresh bread before they go bad. Best days of the week!

Stage 2: “Mais ou Menos”
The hardier veggies, like potatoes and onions, are still good to eat, and I use them in conjunction with canned peas, carrots, and chick peas to make still pretty decent and protein-rich meals.

Stage 3: “Malnutrition”
 I need to go shopping. All my perishable and canned goods are gone. I am living off of bouillon cubes, xima, and ramen. I save my corn flakes for this troublesome time so I still have something to look forward to eating every day.



Breakfast
Lunch/Dinner
Treat
Stage 1

Peanut Butter and Banana sandwich with fresh bread
Fried rice with vegetables or split pea soup
Cucumber salad or fresh fruits
Stage 2
Scrambled eggs or oatmeal
Pasta with tomato or alfredo sauce, or rice and beans.
Orange juice or hot chocolate
Stage 3
Corn flakes
Ramen, chicken noodle soup, batatas fritas.
A Jolly Rancher (melted)

Definitely, the hardest thing about eating here is getting enough vitamins and protein. I try to plan ahead as much as possible, but it’s still very difficult. Thankfully, Peace Corps sends me supplements in case I’m not getting enough of something.

I must say, though, difficulties aside, it has been fun getting to enjoy cooking. In myapartment in Houston, I was usually in a rush or my friends would invite me to eat out – so there wasn’t much incentive or enough time to really cook decent meals for myself. Here, I don’t have the option of going out to eat, and I usually have nothing to do anyway, so I can take my time and experiment a bit. The other day, I made some pretty tasty jam-filled fried dumplings for dessert! I considered it a victory.

Next step: Learn to make legitimate Mozambican food!


6 comments:

  1. Do you eat pap? At my internship we're working pretty closely with a guy in South Africa who's working to fortify food to help people achieve "nutrient repleteness". https://www.ashoka.org/fellow/basil-kransdorff

    Stay healthy!

    Laura N.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it has a lot of different names but is widely eaten all over Africa. It's called xima here ("SHEE-ma") and the most widely used brand is fortified to try to combat malnutrition. I eat it sometimes, but most of the time I use it as food for my dog, haha!

      Delete
  2. That is so nice peace corps sends you supplements-sounds like they are needed!

    Yay for learning Mozambican recipes-you will have to send me some when you learn them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will make you some BOMB couve when I see you next :-D

      Delete
  3. Okay, Helen, you must get enough protein or you will become unhealthy and clinically depressed. Peanut butter is good as long as you eat whole wheat with it. Rice and beans are good, too. I'm not sure about xima - but sounds interesting - what is it? Humans need those 21 essential amino acids to make protein. Read up on it!!! (I'll try to find you a book and send it to you.) Mrs. H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, Mrs. H., I'm getting better at planning out my meals every time I go shopping. I've been eating lots of nuts, eggs, fake meat made from soy, and beans. And now that the rainy season has begun, veggies will become more plentiful. No depression so far!

      Delete