Sunday, February 24, 2013

A Vida em Rosa

This morning, I woke up before day broke. I made myself a cup of mocha coffee and sat out on the porch to watch the sun rise.

I spend a lot of time on my front porch, but I'm usually doing something -- writing in my journal, grading homework, making lesson plans, washing something -- but today, I spent a good two hours just sitting on the porch, watching the morning unfold and listening to the sounds of Mavudzi-Ponte.

While the sun rose with brilliant colors, roosters crowed and the songbirds chirped. People emerged from their houses, brushing their teeth and sweeping the porch. They congregated at the water pump for their morning supply of water, greeting each other, asking "Como acordou?" ("How did you wake?")

We're inching towards the cooler season, so nights are quite pleasant temperature-wise. As I sat on the porch, I wrapped my favorite capulana around me for warmth.

I have a lot to do today. Tests to prepare, laundry to wash, food to cook, floors to mop... but this morning, I didn't do anything at all. Not even read.

"What a lovely morning," I thought to myself. "I should do this more often."

The sun peeks over the horizon.

1 comment:

  1. Be-autiful sky! I have seen such - thanks for posting it. Mrs. H.

    ReplyDelete