Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Honor Code + Great Blog Posts

Conversation with a Student Today

Professora Helena: Please take out your homework so I can come around and initial it.
*Students comply, papers rustle. One student writes furiously as I look at other students work. I approach his desk.*
Professora Helena: Is this your homework?
Student: Yes, teacher.
Professora Helena: You did this homework at home? Before class?
Student: Yes, teacher.
Professora Helena: You're not lying, are you?
Student: No, teacher.
Professora Helena: That's funny, because I see you already copied down today's date from the blackboard here, right above where you've just hastily scrawled your answers to last week's homework.
Student: It's my homework, teacher. I did it.
Professora Helena: I see. And I see that last week's notes are in blue pen, and right now you're holding a black pen. What color is your homework written in?
Student: Uhh....
Professora Helena: What color pen?
Student: Uhh... black pen, teacher.
Professora Helena: That's what I thought. You may leave my classroom now. Get the notes from today from one of your friends. Next time, do not lie to me. It is disrespectful to me, and your classmates, and you will not learn that way.
Student: Yes, Professora Helena.
*Student leaves.*

JUSTICE IS SWIFT!

_________________________________________________


Great Blog Posts


My friends and colleagues here have been writing some pretty great things on their blogs recently. Here are some particularly fantastic posts that recommend you read.

New Neighbors (Lisa S.) - Welcoming me and Szasha into the small family of Tete volunteers. A very accurate depiction of the Tete stigma among volunteers.

Flood Adventures (Nick) - A thrilling tale from a site that was affected by the recent flooding in Mozambique.

The Goat Rescue (Szasha) - Baby goat stuck in latrine? Now that's a Peace Corps problem.

1 comment:

  1. I like your "tough love" method. May the Lantern of Truth continue to shine! Mrs. H.

    ReplyDelete