Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Victory!

Every class period, I tell my students that if they have any questions, or just want to practice English, they can come to me anytime for extra help. The total number of students who have taken advantage of my offer of free unlimited tutoring: zero.

Until today!

This morning, I woke up early after sleeping badly. It was barely 6:00 in the morning, and I opened my door to see two of my ninth graders sitting on my porch.

"We came for English help. We want to learn to speak better."

I was still half asleep, hadn't brushed my teeth or eaten breakfast, but they were looking at my expectantly so I let them in.

"Just let me uh... get something," I said, frazzled.

To buy me some time, I had them do an exercise from my grammar book, and once I had somewhat composed myself we tried a reading and speaking exercise.

After we finished, Hélder and António wanted to know how to say a bunch of random phrases, so I wrote them down and we practiced the pronunciation and meaning together. They wanted to know all about my family and where I was from, I took out my world map.

We worked on English for an hour. I don't think they learned anything groundbreaking, but I do think they enjoyed themselves. For them, it was a small victory.

For me, this was a huge victory. Finally, my students are realizing that I'm not just some teacher whose here for the paycheck at the end of the month. I'm not some random foreigner who is going to disappear next week. I am here for two years. I am here for the sole purpose of their English learning. I want them to learn. I want to help!

Finally, someone asked for help!

When I walk in the classroom these days, the students perk up. They say "Good afternoon, Teacher!" when they pass me in the hallways. They actually volunteer to answer questions. They speak! It's these little things that have been happening recently that are giving me the motivation to continue with full force.

What a great feeling!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats Helen! Such a feat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are experiencing the joy of teaching, which is so much more than just giving out knowledge---the whole experience is so very rich. Glad you had such a great day!!! Aunt B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo, Helen! That was a great read :) There's tons of similar experiences in America and other foreign countries where grammar and forming a sentence sticks for as long as it takes to pass the test. I think what you're teaching them is more valuable than rote learning anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I meant this for "What Doesn't Kill You" but it totally applies here too.

      Delete
  4. At times like this, you know: there is nothing better than being a good teacher! Enjoy!!! Mrs. H.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go Helen! It sounds like you are breaking barriers-congrads! :)

    ReplyDelete