Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Lost in Translation

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear.
Fuzzy  Wuzzy had no hair.
Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't fuzzy, was he?

Students: Teacher, what is a "bear"?
Me: Bear means "urso." Do you know what that is?
Students: *blank stare*
Me: A bear is a type of animal. It's very big and scary.
Students: Like an elephant?
Me: No, it's carnivorous and has big claws.
Students: Oh! A lion.
Me: No, bears are like this. *Proceed to mime a bear* RAAAAAAAAWR!
Students: .................
Me: Fine. Let's just pretend its a lion, ok? But we have to call it a bear, or the rhyme doesn't work.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like me trying to explain a Black Hole to a curious 6-year-old. Mrs. H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHHAHHA oh my gosh Helen, this is too great. Even when the language has the word, it can be hard to convey the meaning. Like "peanut butter". When I moved to America I understood the concept but I was like "WHAT???"

    ReplyDelete