Thursday, September 5, 2013

Bemvindos, Moz 21!

In the weeks before my departure for Peace Corps, I was doing part-time technical work at a community theater in San Antonio, crossing off each passing day on my "Countdown to Peace Corps" calendar on my desk. It seems like yesterday that I would get in my car with my Starbucks iced white chocolate mocha, and sing along to show-tunes down I-35 on the way to work.

It may seem like yesterday, but in fact, that was almost a year ago. Hard to believe!

In less than three weeks, the newest cohort of volunteers, Moz 21, will arrive in Mozambique for training. The new trainees all extremely excited, panicking about what to expect when they get here, trying to cram in quality time with family and friends before leaving, and freaking out about what to pack and what not to pack. We current volunteers are equally as excited for them to get here -- both because it means that we will no longer be the young'uns of Education, and also because it'll be super exciting to get a whole group of new people in Mozambique. I in particular can't wait to meet my new roommate and the 6 other volunteers that will be joining me in Tete in December.

Naturally, the new trainees are in a packing craze at the moment. In the weeks leading up to departure, current volunteers love to tell future trainees things like "Don't worry about packing. Just spend time with your friends and family. That's much more important!" While that's true, I remember the weeks leading up to departure. You have no idea what to expect after the minute you step on the airplane on the way to Staging. The only thing you can control is what you pack and how you prepare.

So here are my two cents on preparing for Peace Corps service for Moz 21.

1. Mozambique (and Africa in general) is probably not going to be as rustic as you expect.
Before coming to Mozambique, I had images of living in a reed hut in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by people with crazy tribal tattoos and neck rings. Mozambique is not like that. Most education volunteers live in decently sized towns and villages, and while some of us do live in huts without electricity, we all have laptops and almost all of us have regular internet access both on our laptops and smartphones. You won't need your safari hat and cargo pants nearly as much as you'll need nice shirts (polos, blouses, etc.) and professional shoes (Ladies, flats and sandals are your best friends.)

2. Plenty of people live here without "American" things. You don't need to bring everything.
You can get most anything in the bigger cities here, including clothing, food, toiletries, etc. Aside from the fact that millions of Mozambicans live here without a problem, there are also a decent number of expatriates who manage to live a relatively "Western" lifestyle here. This especially applies to clothes -- you will acquire a ton of T-Shirts, and probably a bunch of nice clothing from the thrift market, calamidades, that any decently-sized community has. If your bags are overweight, take out some clothing.

What can't you get here? Certain food items, depending on where you live. (The care package that my mom sent me with Parmesan cheese vastly improved my quality of life.) Electronics are available but of questionable quality and overpriced. Quality kitchen items, like sharp knives and nonstick pots. Specialty hobby items. Sentimental things.

To give a visual, I looked around my house recently and thought about which things I brought from the U.S. I use the most and am most grateful that I brought. Here's what I came up with (in no particular order):

1. Art supplies (since I like to draw) 2. A good camera. 3. Kindle -- I use it every day, much more practical than books. 4. Journal for recording accomplishments and frustrations. 5. Children's books for my neighbors and local kids to read. 6. Laptop with external hard drive. You'll acquire a lot of media. 7. Shoes for people with large feet -- ladies, it's hard to find big shoes around here. 8) Photo album of family and friends -- both for your emotional sanity and to show off to your neighbors. 9. Music player and portable speaker. Especially the speaker. I can't count how many times that little guy has come in handy.
On the other hand, things I needn't have bothered bringing include a solar charger (most sites have electricity, and you can buy them here), too many t-shirts (you'll get t-shirts for all kinds of events and such), and excess medical supplies (Peace Corps gives you a pretty extensive medical kit.)

3. 27 months may seem like a long time, but it is going to fly by. Relish it.
Especially at the beginning, you're going to have a hard time. There will be days when you want to go home. There will be days when you think "Why, why, WHY did I choose to do this to myself?" Please believe me when I say that it only gets better. Talk to someone if you're having a problem. We have a Peer Support Network in country for you to talk to if you're feeling stressed. (I'm on it, so call me anytime! You'll get all of our numbers during training). We have a new trainee mentoring program so you'll have someone who can listen to you.

If you stick it out, be tough, and roll with the punches, you will get through the rough patches and you will grow to love Mozambique, your life here, and your community. It's going to be one of the most rewarding feelings in your life.

We can't wait to meet you!


WELCOME TO MOZAMBIQUE, MOZ 21!

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting, informative, and inviting! Mrs. H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh, by the way, the other day I got the package that you sent with the crochet supplies and sun print stuff and such! THANK YOU!!! I used to crochet, actually, and I want to try making a hat for my neighhors kid.

      Delete
    2. Good to hear that you received it - have fun! Mrs. H.

      Delete
  2. I love this! And miss being on PSN... :)

    ReplyDelete