Monday, December 30, 2013

Christmas Vacation Part 2: "Home" for the Holidays

While most of my volunteer friends went home home for the holidays, my parents and I hopped on a plane from Victoria Falls to my Mozambican "home" in Tete. Even coming from the natural beauty of Victoria Falls, Tete still looked gorgeous from the airplane.


This is where I live. Amazing, huh?
 
Our quaint little airport.
Christmas is one of my favorite holidays, but this one was kind of... strange. There we were, my parents and I, sitting in my little concrete house, in a hundred degree weather, taking turns using my latrine. However, while my dad was fiddling around with the electric sockets in my house and sharpening my knives, my mom and I put together a little Christmas shrine to get in the mood, all the while listening to Christmas music.


O Christmas Shrine

There were a few volunteers nearby that didn't go home for the holidays, so we invited them over and had a lovely, laid-back Christmas. We cooked a bunch of wonderful things (Taylor made absolutely delicious cinnamon rolls one day) and just kind of.... hung out. It was very relaxado.

I was way overdue for a haircut.

Taylor and Laura get ready to make some s'mores.

Leeloo makes herself comfortable on Mama's lap.
We did Christmas the European way, celebrating on the 24th, and then first thing on Christmas day, we drove to Tete City to fly to Maputo. Of course, the Mozambican airline, LAM, being as awful as it is, canceled our flight on Christmas day because all the airport workers didn't feel like working, so we ended up staying at my friend's house for the night. (Seriously, only LAM would cancel a flight due to worker laziness.) Still, we got rebooked for the next flight and on the 26th, were off to the next leg of our journey.

Next up: Safari!

3 comments:

  1. I read on Taylor's blog that your parents "were not slackers in any way and toughed it out with us", so I am glad to hear that! Mrs. H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, it's true! They went and pumped water every morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How amazing! I hope your flight made it and you all had an amazing trip together. I love that you went bungee jumping and fed elephants and then came back and got a haircut. You're adorable. I miss you and happy new year!!! Alicia

    ReplyDelete