Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Blogathon Day 14: End of the Line

A few months ago, I took the Foreign Service exam. To my surprise, although I didn't do very well on the timed essay portion, I passed the test the first time around. I moved on to the Personal Narrative stage, in which candidates write two hundred word blurbs about their experiences.

Unfortunately, this year, that's where I ended. I didn't make it past the Qualifications Evaluation Panel, in which a panel takes your test scores and narratives together and decides if you qualify to move on to the next stage. I feel like my narratives were pretty strong, so I'm left with the sneaking suspicion that my failure to move on is due to my freeze-up on the timed essay part of the test. I'm the first to admit that the essay I wrote was weak.

Still, now I am more familiar with the test and the whole process. I passed the test the first time around without a whole lot of practice and while I was super behind on current events, so I should be able to kill it next year, when I'll be in the U.S. and have the time and connectivity to study properly.

Although I'm disappointed that my candidacy stops here this year, I'm just as determined as ever, and Ill be back in the testing room next February to try again. Ain't no stopping me!

2 comments:

  1. It's probably better not to be too focused on your next step while you're still in the midst of the current! I agree it is very helpful to know what to expect! You are awesome, no matter what! Aunt B

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are smart and you have a good attitude, and that is 90% of the battle. Mrs. H.

    ReplyDelete