Monday, August 4, 2014

A Feira

I woke a few mornings ago thinking it would be a normal Friday, which usually involves me making a long to-do list and then ignoring everything on it while I stay in bed, watching movies and reading all day. Fridays are nice.

But no, that day was different, and I enjoyed it. As I was sitting down to chow down on a large lunchtime cabbage salad, Redi came over and told me that Sister Antonia (a Brazilian nun that lives here) was putting on a craft fair (uma feira) at the market.

"Tikuenda pa bodzi!" ("Let's go together!") I said to her.

At the market, everyone was standing around a group of tables. The tabletops were filled with crafts -- lacy house-decor, flower-adorned ceramic pots, and homemade candles and perfumes.Everyone was staring, afraid to touch anything. After a small opening ceremony which Redi and I didn't pay attention to, as we had discovered cake and were stuffing our faces, the market was officially declared OPEN, and all hell broke loose.

Women swatted each other away to get at decorative fans to hang on walls. People called dibs on plates of cookies and sweets. I'm pretty sure I overheard the Chief of Police telling a student that he would arrest his whole family if he didn't "put that plate of doce de coco down THIS MINUTE." Apparently, it's his wife's favorite.

It was clearly a success, and Antonia was buzzing around, beaming the whole time. "Gente!" she said in her oh-so-Brazilian accent, "Que beleza!"

As a teacher, and thus somewhat of an authority figure in the community, I was expected to purchase something. I bought two little bottles of perfume, and gave one to Redi "so we can smell the same." It's not the best perfume ever, but it's better than armpit smell, and that's about where my standards are right now.

This was the first event of its kind here in Mavudzi-Ponte, and it was surprisingly successful. I'm always impressed at the initiative of people in this town to take a hold of their own future. All the girls that helped Antonia learned new skills (which they will be able to use to create their own income) and hopefully will not need to rely on men to provide for them. And my student, Tiger, who recently got a contract selling phone credit, made a bunch of sales that day.

More power to you all! This is how communities develop!

Set-up of the craft fair.
Handmade pots, $6-10
Brooms, 80 cents. Spoons, 1 cent.
A crowd of children curiously watches from the sidelines.
The market is open!
Redi bought a huuuuuge decorative vase.
Our friendly USAID activists look on.
Antonia, the organizer, shows off a vase.
Simpo's happy, all he wanted was a coke.

2 comments:

  1. I would love to have one of those spoons for $.01 - I will pay you back if you could get me one - thanks! (I'm serious). Mrs. H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do! :-D They are used for making xima, which requires a LOT of stirring.

      Delete