Monday, March 10, 2014

Having Fun Isn't Hard When You've Got a Library Card!

Arthur said it best -- reading is fun, and the kids of Mavudzi-Ponte have been discovering that for themselves recently. I've been talking about this community library project for a long time, but keep running into roadblocks -- "Sorry, you need somebody's signature/stamp/name written in blood on this document to continue." Stuff like that.

So recently, Laura and I have taken a different approach. Just sit on the porch, take out some books, and see if anyone shows up.

The first day we had two kids. The next day, a few more. And, before we knew it...

A herd of crianças!
So many kids interested in reading! This is really exciting, and now that everyone can see how successful the project can be, I hope that turning this into a real library experience (i.e.... actually taking place in the school's library) will become much easier.

The nice thing is, they changed our schedules recently, and now the only day I teach in the afternoons is Monday -- all other days are night school days. So that means that I can have "office hours" in the library three to four times a week! I'm hoping to start with that as soon as I get back from my trip home.

This library is quickly becoming the project I care about most.






2 comments: