Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Blogathon Day 2: A Little Normal

Americans are generally very positive people. Sure, you can't turn on the news without seeing people screaming at each other, but that's not what I'm talking about. When you pass someone on the street and say "How are you?" they say "Good, thanks!" and usually will flash you a smile.

Mozambicans are not like that. Don't get me wrong, Mozambicans are not negative people, they just don't sugarcoat things. When I see someone I know, I smile big and ask how they are, and they almost always stoically respond with "Um pouco normal," (Literally, this means "I'm a little normal.")

I ask my students how their break was. Um pouco normal. I asked my colleague how her test went. Um pouco normal. I ask my friend how her big birthday party was. Surprise! Um pouco normal.

At first, I thought everyone was just really grumpy. Looking back, I know I probably seemed really strange to them. ("Why is the branca always so happy about everything? She smiles all the time. It's creepy.") Now I don't think it's quite as weird. I'm still not used to it (I still smile at everyone), but, well, let's put it this way. It's um pouco normal.




No comments:

Post a Comment