Saturday, July 6, 2013

There's No Place Like Home

After exactly 12 days of being in limbo, I'm finally back home in Mavudzi-Ponte, and let me tell you something: It feels so good to be home!

Last week, some guys from Peace Corps Safety & Security went all around the region, doing an assessment on the situation. Things have (thankfully!) calmed down, no more incidents, and I was cleared to go home yesterday.

As happy as I am to be home, I'm also having withdrawal symptoms of Szasha, hot showers, and the Food Network. I came home to a house that hadn't been swept or cleaned in two weeks, and let me tell  you something: it was not pretty.

A mountain of work.
It doesn't help that I also came home to a gigantic mountain of piled up work. The two weeks of school I missed included not only revision period, but also end-of-trimester exams. My students were not pleased, and neither am I. Still, there's nothing I can do to change it, so I might as well get started chipping away at this mountain of grading.

Still, nothing beats the feeling of sleeping in your own bed at night, under your own mosquito net.

Home, sweet home.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are back in your little abode. It will be good to have something constructive to do, although without your pal and the hot showers, I'm sure it won't be quite perfect! Again, we are glad you got to go home!!! Love you, Aunt B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could relate to everything you said, until "under your own mosquito net"! Mrs. H.

    ReplyDelete