Wednesday, July 10, 2013

"I SWEAR that's not what I meant!"

There exist in Portuguese the following two very similar words:

Aprovar (verb): Approve (also used as "to pass" in school)
Aproveitar (verb): Take advantage of

There is, in fact, a very big difference between these words, and one would do well not to confuse them. I got some rather weird looks from my colleagues this morning as we were discussing our students this trimester.

What I thought I said: 
I love my students! I passed almost all of them this trimester!

What I actually said:
I love my students. I took advantage of almost all of them this trimester!

Er... oops.
 


1 comment:

  1. That is funny! And I can relate - I made similar goofs more times than I will ever admit while we lived in Brazil. Mrs. H.

    ReplyDelete