Saturday, May 4, 2013

Photos of Home and School

Way back when I first moved in, I posted photographs of my new house. Well, it's been almost 5 months since then, and a lot has changed. I figured it's about time for an update! Plus, you've never seen my school. Let's start there.
 
This is my school. It's relatively new and, like most of the concrete buildings in my town, was built by the local Catholic church. You can't tell from this picture, but the school is basically a big U shape.
 
The quad. Isn't my school pretty? The students all take turns coming in in the mornings or after school to weed or water plants, clean cobwebs, and sweep classrooms. All together, they keep the school looking presentable and clean.

(1.) The hallway with the Director's office and 8th grade classrooms. (2.) Our official sign and flag. (3.) The covered walkway that connects the two prongs of the U-shape -- this is where professors hang out in between classes.

An average classroom. This was taken after school, which is why all the chairs are gone, but usually, yes, they have chairs. Almost every student has their own desk, too, which is unusual for rural schools like this one.

Future site of my Giant World Map. I'll be working with the Geography and Art teachers, as well as a bunch of students, to paint a HUGE world map on this wall. It faces the road, so the whole community can see it too. It's surprising how many kids (and adults) can't even point to Africa on a map.

My walk home. I step out of this dark hallway (left) onto a path (right) and you can see my house from the school.

Our living area. Notice all the beautiful new furniture since my last photos -- the shelves, sofa, coffee table, extra mattress... it's like people actually LIVE here now!

(1.) Decor in my bedroom. (2.) My bed. (3.) My guitar and my favorite tote bag. I explained to my students what "So many books, so little time" meant and they said "Teacher, that is most definitely your bag."

The Catholic church, and social hub of the town.

My neighbor, Páscoa. Also, probably my closest friend in Mavudzi-Ponte. Pictured here with her baby, Gelsia, who cries every time I walk into the room. Páscoa is going to work with me on Books for Africa, a program to stimulate early grade reading. She's an elementary school teacher.

My neighbors/students/friends -- Norai and Filomena. They both live in the same complex as me. When I went to go take photographs, they said "Teacher, take one of us, too!" They love photos. These two tend to sleep in my class, which is annoying, but I'm fond of them anyway. They're slowly trying to teach me Nyungwe.

There you have it. This is where I live and work!
I'll leave you with this gorgeous photo of the landscape in my town.


Pretty mountains!

9 comments:

  1. I love the world-map-on-the-wall idea! Where are the students' chairs - do they take them home? What does the Books for Africa program entail? (I'm not nosy, just very curious!) Your home is lovely - such pretty colors! Mrs. H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chairs get locked up at night and on weekends, since the classrooms don't lock (and things tend to disappear from unlocked classrooms...) I'll be posting more about books for africa soon, but basically it's a program where USAID provides a bunch of childrens books of all different reading levels to schools that show community initiative in implementing an early grade reading program (tutoring, read-aloud sessions, etc.) The number of book sets they give out this year is limited to 25, though, so I'll be competing with my fellow volunteers to get them. We'll have to put together a strong proposal!

      Delete
    2. Call the program a "Book Club" of some sort and give it a cute name - that is always motivating because kids like to be in clubs! Mrs. H.

      Delete
  2. Helen! I want to see more of YOU in these settings. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Yesle... the problem is, I am the only volunteer at my site... so who is gonna take pictures of me? :-D I'll work on it, though!

      Delete
    2. Self-pics!!! Extend your arm and make that duck face. I want to see your pretty face is all.

      Delete
  3. Love the map plan---can't wait to see it! Let us know if we can help with the books.... Love, Aunt B

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your post. It is good to see you verbalize from the heart and clarity on this important subject can be easily observed... roll-off dumpsters georgetown tx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I have never seen such blogs ever before that has complete things with all details which I want. So kindly update this ever for us. moroccan furniture moroccan lamps

    ReplyDelete